Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Big Risk

I took the biggest risk of my life and decided to do this IVF thing.  I basically mortgaged the next four years of my life.  I didn't want to write about it, but hey, this is my last shot.  This is it for me.  So I might as well document it.

For the first time in my life I took birth control pills.  How ironic that I needed them to kick off this cycle.  I took them for a week in a half.  Two days after I stopped, I got another period. Ugh!  Basically the doctor had to time my cycle to our needs.

Since then, I have had a baseline ultrasound, blood drawn and started taking injections.  Every night my beloved husband shoots me up with a combination shot of two vials of bravelle and menopur.  Every other night we add another shot of HGH.  Tonight will mark day three of injections.

In addition to the injections, I'm taking an aspirin a day and something called Dexamethasone, which is supposed to help out your ovaries.  I also take a host of supplements.  If the cops came up in here, they would have some serious questions, until they read the labels.  So I am also popping:

PRENATAL PILLS
CoQ10 (an antioxidant)
DHEA (supposed to help with diminished ovarian reserve),
RESVERATROL (supposed to help with lining and keep you generally young looking)
WHEAT GRASS (acupuncturist said I needed more veggies and green things in my life)
BEE POLLEN (helps with the egg situation and supposedly helps your hair)
ROYAL JELLY (it's the stuff the Queen Bee eats that helps her produce 2,000 eggs a day. It also helps her live five to six years, while the worker bees die after 30-35 days)
MELATONIN (I have no idea what this does, but it makes you sleepy. Don't take it in the middle of the day).

I haven't really felt any differently.  The only thing of note is that the combo shot of bravelle and menopur stings.  I have to get better about dealing with that.  My poor hubby gets a little freaked out and thinks he's doing something wrong.  I keep telling him that it's not him, it's the drugs.  The HGH shot doesn't hurt.  I had been generally positive, until I realized my RE was pregnant. After blogging about it and praying about it, I'm over it.  I think I was looking for anything to try to keep me off this path because this certainly is not anything I dreamed of doing.  However, we were too far in it to turn back.

The doctor hopes to get about eight to ten eggs out of me.  I've started a private Pinterest page to work as a positive visual board.  We'll see how it all goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment